
The History of Hanover Park
1958 To the Present Day
In 1872, what was then called the Chicago & Pacific Railroad laid tracks on the property of a settler named Edwin Bartlett. He donated some of his land for a train station and a grain elevator. Around the train station sprung the small community of Ontarioville, with many businesses along the main road. A village grew up around this neighborhood, with schools, stores, farms, and homes. Eventually, in 1958, this tight-knit community was incorporated as Hanover Park.
Images from the Hanover Park Historic Committee.

The History of Hanover Park
1950s
1958
-
August 14: To avoid getting swallowed up by neighboring communities, the residents voted to incorporate the Village of Hanover Park. It became official on August 14, and Ontarioville was not included.
-
September 27: Hanover Park had 125 registered voters and all but one person cast their ballots. The election made Gordon Jensen Hanover's Park's first Village President, along with members of his "People's Party," who were elected to the remaining positions in the Village.
-
October 16: The first meeting of the Hanover Park Board of Trustees was held at Roy Schneider’s Grill, a restaurant that opened in 1951.
-
November 14: Clyde West was appointed as first police chief.
1959
-
October 1: The first census was taken showing a population of 330 residents.
1960s
1960
-
According to the 1960 national census, Hanover Park’s population was 451.
1961
-
October 28: Hanover Park held a dedication ceremony for the new village hall.
1962
-
February 24: The Hanover Park Lions Club was presented its club charter.
-
Construction began on Hanover Builders’ second subdivision, Hanover Park Estates. This was located on the former Finke farm.
-
October 25: Laurel Hill School held their dedication ceremony.
-
November 14: Gromer Supermarket held its grand opening. Along with Pic-N-Pay Walgreen Agency Drug Store, Gromer’s was one of the first two shops in the new Park-N-Shop Shopping Center. This shopping center is now referred to as Hanover Square.
-
People began moving into the Hanover Highlands subdivision near the end of 1962.
1963
-
June 23: Ahlstrand Fieldhouse was dedicated. The fieldhouse, and the park on which it is located, was named after Carl Ahlstrand, who was a trustee and Hanover Park's second police chief. He was killed on duty in 1959 by a semi-truck whose driver had lost control, an event also resulting in the deaths of two young children. The park later added “Rinne” to its name. This honored Emil Rinne, who was one of the founding fathers of Hanover Park.
1964
-
Hanover Highlands Elementary School opened.
-
Building for the Longmeadows subdivision began along Longmeadow Lane.
-
May: The Hanover Park Park District formed. Emil Rinne was named first Park Commissioner.
-
Hanover Park held its first annual "I Am an American" parade.
1965
-
April 20: Eugene Domingue was elected Village President, replacing Gordon Jensen.
1966
-
Hanover Park Junior Women's Club began hosting meetings. Events and activities done by the Women's Club over the years included Christmas parties, blood draws, senior lunches, donating toys and food baskets, Halloween parties, environmental projects, a child fingerprinting and videotaping program run with the police department, a baby picture contest, and their annual fashion show.
1967
-
September 5: Anne Fox Elementary School opened.
-
October 29: Ontarioville School held an open house for its new expansion, gaining eight new rooms and a gymnasium. The school originally opened in 1928.
1969
-
April 16: Richard Baker is elected Village President, replacing Eugene Domingue.
-
Tradewinds Shopping Center is completed. It was located at the northeast corner of Barrington Road and Irving Park Road.
1970s
1970
-
According to the 1970 national census, Hanover Park’s population was 11,916.
-
February 6: President Richard Nixon visited the Metropolitan Sanitary District's new sewage treatment plant in Hanover Park, which was the first major tertiary wastewater treatment center in the nation.
1971
-
Parkwood Elementary School opened.
1973
-
April: Lou Barone is elected Village President, replacing Richard Baker. Hanover Park’s first female trustee, Janice Smith, is also elected.
-
The Hanover Park-Ontarioville Historical Society is founded and Beth Carpenter is appointed to serve as its first chairwoman.
-
Greenbrook Elementary School opened.
1974
-
Albert Einstein Elementary School opened. The school was most likely the very first building in Hanover Park to have an elevator.
1976
-
The Hanover Park Park District Community Center at Walnut Avenue and Church Street opened. At the time of its completion, it was the largest park district facility in the state of Illinois (at 105,000 square feet).
1977
-
March 5: A little-known band named Cheap Trick plays their first of two nights at the nightclub "The Camel's Hump" on Jensen Boulevard (the building had previously housed the nightclub called "Concept One"). Cheap Trick released their first album in 1977 and later gained mainstream success. Their hits include "Surrender," "I Want You to Want Me," "Dream Police," and "The Flame."
-
Hanover Park held its first Hanover Park Harvest Fest.
-
October 31: Horizon Elementary School opened.
1980s
1980
-
According to the 1980 national census, Hanover Park’s population was 28,850.
1981
-
October 13: Spring Wood Middle School opened.
-
October 15: Hanover Park artist Buck Warren unveiled his 25-foot-tall wooden “Pasadena Rose” sculpture. The sculpture would later stand in front of the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.
1982
-
April 15: Hanover Park officials approved Ontarioville’s annexation into Hanover Park.
-
Elsie C. Johnson Elementary School opened.
1985
-
April 2: Sonya Crawshaw is elected Village President, replacing Lou Barone.
1990s
1990
-
According to the 1990 census, Hanover Park’s population was 32,895.
-
Turnberry Lakes Business Park opened.
1991
-
September 22: Poplar Creek Public Library District’s Hanover Park branch opened to the public. It was later renamed after late Village President Sonya Crawshaw.
1992
-
July 19: Hanover Park became a sister city with Cape Coast, Ghana.
-
July 22: The entirety of the village was linked together when Barrington and County Farm Roads were connected via an underpass under the Metra tracks.
1993
-
November 2: Elgin O’Hare Expressway opened.
-
Schaumburg Library District’s Hanover Park branch opened to the public. A new building would later open in 2006.
1995
-
June 1: Filming for the movie Normal Life, starring Ashley Judd and Luke Perry, took place in Hanover Park in June. The film tells the story of husband-and-wife bank robbers who at one point lived in Hanover Park. The film premiered October 25, 1996.
-
November 16: The ribbon cutting for the new Metra commuter station was held.
1997
-
April 1: Irwin Bock is elected Village President, replacing Sonya Crawshaw.
2000s and 2010s
2000
-
According to the 2000 national census, Hanover Park’s population was 38,278.
2006
-
March 9: Village President Irwin Bock passed away. Robert Packham had been serving as interim mayor since Village President Bock became ill.
-
July 22: The village held the grand opening of its new multi-million dollar fire station at 6850 Barrington Road. The station is dedicated in honor of Irwin Bock.
2007
-
May 17: Rodney S. Craig was sworn in as Village President.
2010s
2010
-
According to the 2010 national census, Hanover Park’s population was 37,973.
-
September 10: Hanover Park became a sister city with Valparaiso, Zacatecas, Mexico.
2012
-
November 11: Veterans Memorial Plaza in front of Village Hall was dedicated. It is dedicated to the veterans of the United States. The eternal flame statue was sculpted by Bruce A. Niemi.
2017
-
May 29: The War Dog sculpture was dedicated in Memorial Plaza. It honors all canines that have served in the U.S. armed forces. The statue was cast by Renee Bemis.
2018
-
Al-Huda Academy was established in 2007 and opened its doors in Hanover Park in 2018.
2020s
2020
-
According to the 2020 national census, Hanover Park’s population was 37,470.
-
March 13: Governor J.B. Pritzker ordered the closure of all public and private schools K-12 through at least March 30th to combat the spread of COVID-19. Schools moved to remote learning.
2021
-
June 23: A grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony was held for the new Ontarioville Plaza on Ontarioville Road.
2023
-
December 30: Hanover Barber Shop on Barrington Road closed its doors sixty years after Antonio Perri opened it.
Veterans Memorial in Front of Hanover Park Village Hall
Ontarioville Plaza in Hanover Park
1
7